We allowed the death of the Athenian Democracy!
Participation and accountability of all in the democratic and societal process instead of mass proselytization and/or isolation of uninfluential factions.
Modern elites have selfishly and silently eliminated the very foundation of the Athenian Democracy!
Corrected with inclusion of all members of society and populous factions and considering feasibility in the modern world, the democratic fabric could today consist of these elements:
- draw (not election!) of temporary, equal representatives, exercising an accumulated 49% of any popular vote
- 10-15% of the population respond to a representative mandate at the same time which is tuned to their experience
- there is only one mandate per lifetime
- important decisions are prepared for debate by balanced, independent expert groups and are decided upon by quorum with simple majority vote
- corrective measures follow the same process
- former representatives act as volunteer consultants to continue to participate in the design processes and to ensure knowledge transfer
Modern democracies seem to de-democratize themselves and before this process further accelerates it might make sense to consider their foundation and modernization opportunities